Pear & Apple Ring Pancakes (Apfelküchle) with Maple-Cider Syrup

Rejoice! It’s high time that a pear graces the blogfront—perhaps my favourite winter fruit.

Pear and Apple Ring Pancakes (Apfelküchle)

I also figured it would be a shame for autumn to pass with only a single, scant apple recipe. For those of you who aren’t bread pudding fans (do people like that exist?), perhaps these will do the trick. This time I’ve used local Cortlands, but any combination of sweet, tart, and crisp will do beautifully. The pears are of the Comice variety, which are slightly firmer than Bosc but granier than super-crisp Asian pears, making them ideal for this recipe.

Pear and Apple Ring Pancakes (Apfelküchle)

The two fruits go well together and rather aptly parallel the current transition from autumn to winter; the first flurry of snow hit New York two mornings ago. Wasn’t it just yesterday that I was waxing poetic about summer fading away into autumn?

Pear and Apple Ring Pancakes (Apfelküchle)

Last week’s recipe was heavy on the culinary roots and regional history, so I’ll keep it simple: Germans have a delicious Bavarian tradition involving battered and deep-fried apple rings, which they fondly refer to as Apfelküchle.

Pear and Apple Ring Pancakes (Apfelküchle)

Predictably, I’ve lightened it up majorly by merging it with a sort of American-style griddle pancake. I haven’t fried them in boiling lard or dusted them with cinnamon sugar, but don’t think for a second that healthier means less decadent. If you’re still convinced that everything tastes better with lard, just make these and experience all your skepticism ebb away as the golden-spun maple-cider syrup drizzles down the stack. Guten appetit.

Pear and Apple Ring Pancakes (Apfelküchle)

Pear & Apple Ring Pancakes (Apfelküchle) with Maple-Cider Syrup

• 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 t baking powder
  • ½ t baking soda
  • 1 t cinnamon
  • ¼ t salt
  • ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 1 cup apple cider
  • 1 egg
  • 1 t vanilla extract
  • 1 organic apple
  • 1 organic pear
  • 1 cup apple cider
  • 2 T maple syrup

Wash and core your apple and pear, cutting them into round, thin slices about ¼ inch or ½ cm.
Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately. Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry, mixing until just combined (don’t over-mix, lest gluten develop and make your pancakes gummy). Adjust liquid as needed so that batter isn’t too runny or too thick.
Combine apple cider and maple syrup in a small pan, bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and reduce until the liquid is halved and has a syrupy consistency.
Meanwhile, oil a skillet lightly and heat over medium-low.
Dip each apple or pear slice into the batter, letting runoff drip back into the bowl before placing onto the skillet. Cook for a minute until small bubbles begin to rise on the surface and it’s firm enough to flip. Cook for another minute or so before transferring to a plate in a warm oven whilst repeating with the rest of the slices.
Serve warm, drizzled with the maple-cider syrup.

Pear and Apple Ring Pancakes (Apfelküchle)

Pear and Apple Ring Pancakes (Apfelküchle)

Also, Wandercrush’s new Facebook page will be posting both old and new recipes regularly, which is ideal for those of you more comfortable with social media than RSS feeds and email updates.

Pear and Apple Ring Pancakes (Apfelküchle)

This entry was posted in America, Breakfast, Germany, Sweets and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Pear & Apple Ring Pancakes (Apfelküchle) with Maple-Cider Syrup

1. Erika says:

Is this heaven? Those pancakes look HEAVENLY–and so healthyish! I love the maple-cider syrup idea. Brilliant! And you know, I didn’t like bread pudding until I went to college. And the college servery had ridiculously delicious bread pudding. Now I’m obsessed, sad to say for my waistline :( But gorgeous photos, as usual! :)

2. Nanette says:

these look delicious!! Love the pictures of the pears :). I believe I know what to make this weekend….

3. Linda Culver says:

Beautiful photos, easy directions. Looking forward to more!

4. I’ll have to remember this the next time I make pancakes! So fun!

5. shuhan says:

You have a way with pancakes I swear. I like pancakes but don’t feel I have to have them, and then I see your pancake photos on the blog or on instagram and am positive I can devour a whole stack– now. Good one as always, stunning photos.

6. Hannah says:

Oh my god. Doing this now. I got pears and I got all the things I need to make pancakes AND it’s time for breakfast. Win!

7. Aw Gawd…that is one mean pancake stack! You captured all the layers so well and hello to the crispy edges.

8. Oh my goodness, I’m in pancake heaven! Gorgeous!

9. Apple cider in the morning sounds like a perfect fall breakfast! Easy griddle pancakes are some of our favorites and I know the pear and apple combo would be a winner. I think I would drink that syrup!

10. Trixpin says:

Looking lovely. I dried apple rings today but you’ve gone way more than one better; you added cinnamon batter and maple syrup!!
    Thanks for the delicious recipe :)

11. What wonderful pancakes Irina! I have never incorporated pears into pancakes. Thinking I need to try this recipe!

12. Monet says:

These are gorgeous. I saw them on foodgawker the other day and I bookmarked them immediately! Thank you so much for sharing!

13. Woah, what an interesting idea! I’ve never had a pancake like this. Love the look of it too.

14. Gosh, this is wonderful! I love this recipe and am absolutely going to make it. Really good stuff – thanks.

15. Trisha says:

these look so wonderful. i want a bite! x

16. I just drooled on my keyboard. We make pancakes every saturday at home…going to have to try this!

p.s totally agree on the lightened up version…

Another gorgeous post, Irina!

17. Amy Tong says:

I love these pancakes. What a wonderful breakfast…and I bet they can pass as dessert too. So decadent. :)

18. I just made pumpkin pancakes but this is somethin’ else, girl! How gorgeous and what a unique idea to stack fluffed up rings like this…YUM!!!

Pears definitely don’t get quite enough autumnal love! But you’ve given them their due with these lovely pancakes (ring-cakes?)!!

And yes it was SO lovely to meet you! I had so much fun!

20. Yelena says:

I love the idea of putting the whole slices in pancakes. Usually I shred my fruit, but this is so clever! Thank you for idea, Irina! Have a lovely day!

21. Love apple ring pancakes but need to try it with pears someday. Lovely stacks!

22. Who’d have thunk it? These are incredible and I have you to thank for turning me on! Trying them very soon! And your granola was a hit with the marathon runners.

I can’t believe how fast autumn is passing. There are so many things I want to make with apples and pears! These pancakes look amazing, the perfect breakfast for chilly days.

24. liz says:

What a unique and fresh idea. The last time I used pears I shredded them into small pieces, this however, gives a lovely crunch and I would love them warm…thanks for sharing!!!

25. Pingback: Ndolé (Bitterleaf/Kale Peanut Stew with Shrimp & Plantain) // .wandercrush.

26. Whoa, what a great idea. I recently dipped a banana into pancake batter and loved it, so I’ll have to try these pretty apple slices!

27. Alanna says:

These look incredible, and that apple cider syrup is pure genius. I wish I could dig into that stack of cakes right now – yum!

28. laurasmess says:

These look incredible. I’ve never fried apple rings before… I think I’ve had apple fritters (at some point in time, I can’t remember where…?) but they were deep-fried in oil and cut into wedges. Definitely want to try your version, yum xx