Butternut Samosa Empanadas (Samosanadas!)

Before I get into this Halloween-appropriate frankenstein creation, I’d like to formally announce the blog’s make-over! It’s nothing drastic, but I finally got around to replacing the former slap-on header image with the hand-lettering that has been sitting in my Moleskine for ages. My mother will be quite happy to know that I’ve adjusted the body copy to be more legible than 10-point Helvetica. Also, after solemnly acknowledging the inexorable reign of social media, there now exists a Facebook Page for Wandercrush, which you may follow if you fancy!

Samosa Empanadas

I’m unsure whether the blogosphere is prepared for the term ‘samosanada,’ so just think of these as a well-travelled and slightly hipster cousin to the microwavable hot pocket. They may seem a bit enigmatic with the empanada good looks and the spiced samosa-esque filling, but it makes sense once you take a bite—I promise.

Samosa Empanadas

Though samosas and empanadas come from two very different regions of the world, both are essentially  stuffed pastries with many variations: sweet and savoury, baked and fried, meaty and vegetarian, but invariably delicious and portable.

samosa-Empanadas-v2

The former are most often filled with spiced potatoes, deep-fried, and dipped in chutney; the empanada, which traces its origins back to Galicia and Portugal, is believed to have originated from its Indian counterpart. They were originally prepared as large pies and served in hearty slices to the working population, but have since developed into many sub-variations as the many overseas colonies have adapted it to their own tastes.

samosa-Empanadas-v

These are made with yeasted, whole wheat dough similar to that used in my spinach fatayer recipe—it doesn’t use traditional samosa maida flour or empanada lard, but becomes wonderfully fluffy while remaining sturdy enough to hold in all those fillings. I threw in butternut squash to celebrate the sudden plunge into cold weather season here in New York, but feel free to substitute with more potato or even another winter squash.

Samosa Empanadas

Butternut Samosa Empanadas (Samosanadas!)
(makes 4)

• 1 cup ww flour
  • ¼ cup water, warm
  • 2 T yogurt
  • ⅓ t yeast
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1 T grapeseed oil
  • 1 small onion, minced
  • 2 green chiles, minced
  • ½ inch ginger root, grated
  • 1 t chili powder
  • ¼ turmeric powder
  • ½ t cumin powder
  • ½ t garam masala
  • ½ lb russet potato, diced
  • ½ lb butternut squash, diced
  • ¼ cup dried split peas
  • salt, to taste
  • handful cilantro/corriander, chopped

Proof yeast if necessary, adding to warm water with a pinch of sugar. Cover and set aside for 5-10 minutes.
Prepare dough by mixing oil and yogurt with flour and slowly adding in the yeast mixture. Add a pinch of salt and knead for 10-15 minutes, until dough is soft and elastic.
Divide dough into 4 individual balls and cover with a damp towel while preparing the filling.
In a saucepan, combine split peas with potato and butternut squash cubes, covering with water. Add salt and bring to a boil before lowering the heat, covering to simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
Heat oil in a pan and sauté onions until softened. Add chile, ginger, turmeric, and garam masala. After a couple of minutes, add potatoes, butternut squash cubes, split peas, and mash coarsely, stirring in cilantro and seasoning to taste.
Preheat oven to 230ºC / 450ºF.
Roll out each dough ball and dollop the potato filling in the centre, sealing up edges by pinching and folding.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Dust with some chili powder and serve with green chutney! These also freeze well.

Samosa Empanadas

Green Chutney

• ½ cup fresh mint
  • 1 cup fresh coriander/cilantro
  • 2-3 green chiles
  • 2 t lemon juice
  • 1 t honey
  • salt, to taste

Process/pound mint, cilantro, and chiles into a smooth paste. Season to taste with lemon, honey, and salt.

samosa-Empanadas-v3

Happy Halloween!

This entry was posted in Baked Goods, Blog News, Breakfast, Cuba, Finger Food, India, Main, Mexico, Personal, Portugal, Puerto Rico, South America, Spain and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Butternut Samosa Empanadas (Samosanadas!)

1. Norma Chang says:

Love, love your new header image. Clean and classy.
    I am ready for samosanadas. Great idea to substitute whole wheat flour and bake instead of deep frying.

2. Hannah says:

Oh gosh, what have you created here?! Has this been done before? You are the pioneer woman of the samosanada! Also love the new banner, it’s beautiful!

3. shuhan says:

Love the new banner- congrats on it girl! And move over cronut, there’s samosanada! ;) Nice one irina, can’t wait to try this out myself, especially love the green chutney that goes with it.

4. These look so satisfying as does your new look! And wanted to let you know that I made the granola. Ohhhhhh. I already need more. Didn’t have apples but i used dried cherries and apricots. The salty sweet combo is extraordinary. And manservant kept thinking it was coated in butter but it was all that good olive oil. Thanks, i think? for this!

Isn’t it amazing?! I think the salty touch was what I’ve been missing from granolas all my life… amazing what a pinch of it can do. Oooh dried cherries and apricots sound like more than enough to make up for the apples. Hahah you’re most welcome and I’m so glad to hear this report, Abbe!

5. Nice new logo – everyone seems to agree! You always give a nice history lesson or beautiful story in your posts. I feel like I get 2 for 1 here! My parents are both originally from Portugal..had no idea the empanada traced back there! Another winner.
    p.s wish you lived in my kitchen!

6. Oooh, these look awesome. Weirdly, I had a similar cross-cultural hunger last Fall! I ended up with these Masala Knishes.

7. These look great and sound like they are very flavorful! I’m super impressed you know how to do technical things for your blog. I’m totally incapable.

8. What an innovative way to use butternut squash–genius!

9. These sound amazing! As is the look of your new header. Beautiful calligraphy skills :)

10. Leah says:

At first I thought these were sweet, but now I see that they’re savory. the look delicious! Love your new logo too!

11. The new header looks fantastic! And I love the term Samosanadas (I might have to check to see if I spelled that right hehe!) The spice mixture looks incredible and I’m always thinking that I need to cook more butternut squash.

12. Christine says:

Very interesting combination, never thought to associate samosas with empanadas. How would you describe the dough? Empanadas that I’ve had usually are very buttery, flaky, and thicker than samosas that I’ve tried (perhaps I haven’t a proper samosa?)

Thanks, Christine! You’re right, samosa dough is usually thinner (I always likened it to egg roll skins). This dough is more like a bread pocket—not flaky due to absence of saturated fats, but you can surely replace the oil with butter or coconut oil if you want that effect.

Love the fusion of ethnic flavors in each and every bite! This is my favorite kind of food – surprising and delicious.

14. liz says:

Congratulations on the progress you’ve made with the header and the freshly pressed Facebook page. I love your new header, simple and classic. I love the name samosanadas, too. I used to make samosa fillings with rice, lentils, ground beef or lamb, spinach and cheese…the fillings are endless. I love vegetarian ones best and these samosanadas sound delicious. Thanks for sharing!

These samosanadas look so delicious and the flavours sound amazing. I’m loving butternut squash right now. Throwing it in to everything. Congrats on the new banner, looks great. I’ve been meaning to change mine for over a year and still haven’t got around to it! You have inspired me to get working.

16. Your new header is terrific! Good job. Good job with the samosanadas, too – lovely flavor. Really interesting (and tasty!) recipe – thanks.

What a creative invention! I love it! I have often been thinking that most nations in the world have a kind of ravioli/empanadas etc.. They are different but there is always something irresistible about stuffed pastry. I love the new header too!

18. I want a couple of these samosonadas in my lunch box! When my co-workers ask me what it is that I am having for lunch, I can just tell them “samosonada!” Love the word! :)

The new header is really nice, Irina! And I love the idea of the “samosonadas”! : ) Love the spices and all that good stuffing.

20. Rebecca says:

They are in the oven as I speak…can’t wait to try them! I added my own flair…sunshine squash, leeks, garlic, sweet potato, potato.

21. Yelena says:

Blog looks good with new header, good job here! And the recipe, OMG, outstanding! Please, may I have one?-))

Hugs,

Yelena

22. Love your new header!! How did you translate it from a drawing in your moleskin to this image online? I really want to get more into graphic design.
    I love samosas, empanadas, and butternut squash so this is getting added to my must-make list! :)

23. What a clever marriage of cuisines, I love it!

24. Utterly in love with your new logo!!! And this butternut samosas are just divine. This is what I need with a side of tea :)

25. Alanna says:

I love samosas, and I love empanadas. I think my brain might explode from love overload if I were to eat a samosanada! These look awesome!!! So glad to discover your site, and looking forward to reading much much more!

26. Pingback: Mini Knishes & New York Nostalgia // .wandercrush.