Mango Millet Peach Pancakes

I woke up on a lazy summer morning, famished and missing Thailand—so I made myself this ambitiously monstrous stack of pancakes. Rolling with the theme of lazy summer mornings, I’ll just steal an excerpt on mangoes from my previous Eating Thailand post:

“As a notorious market junkie, I practically trip over myself trying to capture Thailand’s market culture. Rows of suspiciously colourful and curiously textured dessert condiments compete for my attention with shiny spreads of Buddhist trinkets. The deft-handed vendors are always my favourite, flipping their impossibly thin doughs and handing over the correct change with your piping-hot street snack without missing a beat. Tourists happily haggle over Thai silk scarves and fisherman pants while locals perch nearby on plastic stools, enjoying a bowl of steaming noodles.

“Fresh fruits are stacked precariously high, peeled and cut to order by smiling ladies. I spot some exotic varieties that I’ve only had in Taiwan, China, Indonesia, Ecuador, and other tropical countries, like bouquets of misleadingly spiny rambutan and the ever-bullied durian, banned in some public buildings for its odour. The adorable and admittedly delicious mangosteen, “Queen of Fruits,” captures the heart of my flatmates, but it’s a more familiar fruit that wins my affection. Mangoes are infinitely sweeter and juicier here, and I get my fix by gnawing on countless mango pits and downing pureed mango juices at lunch, pickled unripe mangoes (มะม่วงดอง) as a surprisingly addictive snack, and of course mango with coconut sticky rice (ข้าวเหนียวมะม่วง) for dessert.”

Mango Millet Peach Pancakes

Fish sauce wouldn’t have been the most appropriate of Thai ingredients to use in pancakes, so I settled with the sweet pulp of an overripe Florida mango that had been sitting on the countertop for weeks, practically begging to become batter bait as more and more starches converted to sugar. Florida is one of the few lucky states (along with Hawaii and California) with a climate for growing decent mangoes. I can’t say they rival the ones in tropical Southeast Asia but, at the peak of the summer season, they make a mean addition to this pancake recipe.

Yellow peaches are another overripe summer staple that beckon from the fruit basket, and the juicy sweetness is the perfect topping to a nutty and ever-so-slightly tropical pancake stack.

Mango Millet Peach Pancakes

I first used raw millet in baked goods for Smitten Kitchen’s banana bread recipe, and it’s absolutely brilliant. The taste is unintrusively nutty and the subtle, dispersed pop and crunch of the grains is a welcome texture breakup in all the pillowy pancake layers. Plus, millet is one of my kitchen staples—cheap, nutritious, and versatile for sweet or savoury dishes (like the Louisiana Red Beans & Millet here).

Mango Millet Peach Pancakes

Styling is a fun new game with stocked cabinets full of pretty plates, the absence of impending classes and appointments means no panicky or prematurely-flipped pancakes, and there’s a beautiful outdoor patio on which to enjoy them. It’s good to be home, if only for a short while—and these pancakes prove it.

Mango Millet Peach Pancakes

• 1 t baking soda
  • ½ t sea salt
  • ½ T ground nutmeg
  • 1 T millet, toasted
  • 2 overripe peaches, mashed
  • 2 T agave/honey
  • pinch of toasted millet

Toast millet in a skillet over low heat for a couple of minutes.
Blend wet ingredients together well, or alternatively grate your mango into the mix. Combine dry ingredients separately, then incorporate the two without over-mixing.
Heat skillet over medium-low heat. Spoon batter in batches, flipping after just a couple of minutes or until many bubbles rise to the surface and the edges begin to firm up. Flip and cook another minute. Repeat until batter is finished.
Top with freshly mashed peaches and agave nectar, sprinkling a pinch of toasted millet for nutty crunch.

Mango Millet Peach Pancakes

Mango Millet Peach Pancakes

This entry was posted in America, Breakfast and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

64 Responses to Mango Millet Peach Pancakes

1. I haven’t experimented with Millet much because I just wasn’t sure what to do with it…but these look so tasty. Welcome back from your trip! It looked seriously amazing and I’m major jealous ;)

Thank you Amy! If you just cook it like rice it makes a wholesome and fluffy counterpart to most meals, which might be more of a starting place than pancake batter.

2. Thanks for stopping by my blog Irina! Because now I’ve seen yours. These pancakes look SO. GOOD. We use a lot of millet in our house, but I never thought to use them in pancakes. And I love the combinations of mango and peach. AND your photos are GORGEOUS.

3. These look like wonderful tasting pancakes!! Never tried cooking with millet before.

4. When I woke up today I was craving pancakes like crazy and then I saw this post.. and now I’m definitely having them for dinner! Thank you! :)

5. simi says:

you have a gorgeous space, I love your blog and am an instant fan

6. How unique! I’ve never worked with millet flour before. I do make the grain on occasion and really enjoy it for a change of pace. Plus, it’s so great for you! Love the peach spin, too.

7. Monet says:

What a gorgeous stack of pancakes. I ate mangoes every day I was in Uganda, and whenever I see them I miss Kampala so much. Thank you for sharing!

Thank you, Monet! Wow, Uganda—isn’t it funny how strongly foods can evoke emotions of a certain place/time? I guess it’s the combined smell/taste factors that trigger so much nostalgia.

Irina, these look beautiful and delicious. So unusual, too. Great job!

Peach is one of my favourite fruits (and the only one I like even in its canned version!), but I have never cooked millet or… thick pancakes! Very original and intriguing recipe. Your photos with extremely ripe, fresh peaches make the pancakes look irresistible.

Yes, and even overripe is okay when it comes to peaches! Dream fruit. Ooooh are you in the crepe camp? You’ve definitely got to give thick ones a go. They’re the only ones that satisfy my cravings these days.

That is one absurdly fabulous pancake stack!! Also I had no idea you were moving to NYC! DEFINITELY email me when you get here (jhbruno87@gmail.com) because I would love to get together!

11. Yea ok i love pancakes !! And with juicy peaches and honey it will be great for breakfast!!
    I ll try it soon..thanks Irina!

12. I want to dive right in to that stack of pancakes! It looks mouth wateringly good! Love mangoes, but I’ve never found Florida ones – I would love to try them.

13. That really is a monstrous stack of pancakes! Looks heavenly! Don’t think I’ve ever tried millet before but I am will be now!

14. Oh my Irina these are astounding. I have never laid eyes on such a gorgeous stack of pancakes. I love millet. I love the way it crackle and pops when you bite them. This is a perfect pancake recipe.

15. Look inviting enough, not to mention they are wholesome. Love millets, I even had it in my congee too.

16. Ahhhh, I can’t believe I’ve never clicked through your profile until now. Your blog is spectacular, LOVE LOVE LOVE all your vibrant food and travel photos. And your writing is absolutely easy and fun to read. And you’re kiiiinda my age so please say we can be friends! :D

17. When we lived in Florida we seriously thought about putting in a mango tree, but finally decided it just wouldn’t be practical (the trees get quite large). I’ve not done much with millet, but should. Terrific recipe – I’ll bet this tastes wonderful. Thanks so much.

18. Irina, this pancake is a beauty! I would love to have a stack of these for breakfast. :) Delicious!

19. I think millet is one of the few grains I haven’t had a chance to try yet. I think these pancakes would be a perfect way to introduce myself :)

Millet is actually really easy to use and integrate into different recipes, as far as uncommon grains go. The flavour is mildly nutty and the texture is a bit cornmeal-esque. You should give it a go!

20. Kobie says:

The most beautiful looking pancakes ever! So smitten with this drizzly oozy look and think will have to definitely make a round to devour and share with loved ones close! Am sure no one will say no to the invite! Exceptionally beautiful. Thank you for sharing x

21. shu says:

I saw a photo of this on instagam and thought “wtf, that tiny girl.” Looks gorgeous, and love trying new grains too- it’s great that these are slightly healthier than your normal pancakes-makes eating a giant stack of them a litlte less sinful ;)

Yep, I have a definite mental block whenever whole grains are involved—”it’s okay to have triple the amount as long as it’s fiber-tastic and wholemeal!” To be fair, this stack lasted me until dinner :)

22. Trisha says:

WOWWW! My eyes just popped out of my skull a bit. I HEART PANCAKES. haven’t tried millet, but it sounds very intriguing! x

23. Helena says:

Mmm, so yummy, I have nothing more to say except I’d like to have you making my breakfasts everyday haha ! ;)
    Seriously, millet flour isn’t something I can come by easily here but you make it sound so mouthwatering… so, do you think that ground raw millet grains would do the trick ?
    Thanks anyway !

Hehe, thanks Helena! I toasted mine before grinding, but it’ll be perfectly fine using raw grains as well! It’ll be slightly less nutty, but maybe that’s better and more mild for the first try. I hope you get the chance to try sometime! It’s equally good cooked and served like rice.

24. I LOVE both Mango + Peach…so this recipe is a must! Millet will be a new ingredient in my world, but always love trying out new things!

25. Vivienne says:

Gorgeous photos of the stack! What a healthy way to start the day..

I love mangoes too….our mango season here in Aust is quite short, so during the winter – I settle for frozen version (or get my parents to send me dried ones from TW hehe)

Thank you thank you! Yep, I’m trying to get my fill while they’re still around. Taiwan’s dried mangos are the bomb, and now that you’ve mentioned them I’ve got a craving. All the condensed sweetness makes it like chewing on nature’s candy.

These pancakes look fantastic. I love cooking with millet, it’s great for baked goods. It’s such a long time since I had a mango. You can’t exactly get great ones in London ;) I might have to hunt one down and give this a try. I love the idea of peach and mango as a mix. Your photos are lovely and a sunny patio too! Better than greyish London I’m sure. :)

Thanks Caz! Oh man, I remember getting a mango from the supermarket during my first month in London… I’m ashamed to say I couldn’t even finish it! Rookie mistake, hahah.

27. Gorgeous styling, photos and nutrient packed pancakes!! I want a wholesome stack!

28. Oh my word. These pancakes are blowing my mind.

29. Irina, I’ve nominated your lovely blog and talents for a Liebster award. You can visit my site for the rules and questions!

30. Carmen says:

Beautiful photos, again! These look scrumptious!

31. Really a glad to find and go through this amazing recipe. Surely will try it. Please continue sharing such recipe. Many thanks for sharing.

32. Pingback: 7 Tasty Homemade Pancake Recipes for the Family | Backyard Ocean

33. Pingback: Tiramisu Mille Crêpe à l’Blood Orange & 1 Year of Wandercrushing // .wandercrush.